Thursday, October 21, 2010

Adventures in Portland

This past weekend I had a six year reunion with a friend of mine from high school. We were bad about keeping in touch, but it was not intentional. We both just did our own thing. Now that we only live two hours away from each other, it was time to catch up.

Not only is she a great human being, she's a foodie and nature lover just like me. It was fun rediscovering why we were friends in the first place. She is, after all, the person who got me addicted to sushi. I am forever indebted to her. She was also my first visitor when we started college a million years ago. 

She and her lovely boyfriend gave me a tour of Portland, which I have never done as an adult. I have a ton of family in and around Portland, but when I've visited the focus has been on family. Not on food and cocktails. What a treat that city is.
Places we went:
Aalto Lounge - fun atmosphere, fun friends, good time.
Le Montage and Le Merde - Dinner at Montage, we split the sausage gumbo. While we were waiting, we got a cocktail at Le Merde. Mine was frothy and lime infused. The froth was from a raw egg white and came with a disclaimer along the lines of "Raw egg whites are dangerous. As are many of the best things in life." Check out the names of the cocktails, they are so fun to order you can't help yourself.
Stumptown Coffee - European style, thick, dark, and delicious coffee.
The food carts - at SE 12th Ave & Hawthorne Blvd. Amazing.
The Douglas Fir Lounge - a great place for a cocktail and live music. We had the Dark & Stormy.
The Sapphire Hotel  - I told her I liked interesting cocktails that bite me back. She delivered. We ordered the same drink, he got a spicy Bloody Mary.
"Going Up?"  - Serrano pepper infused tequila muddled with cilantro, lime juices and house made sweet & sour. Served up with a salted rim. 

We also got some Thai food, watched a flick or two, and went to sushi (duh). I hit up a lacrosse clinic, and she went for a hike. A perfect reunion and a great way to spend the weekend. I am so, so thankful for the good times we had. 

This was lecker. I hope your adventures are lecker too.

1 comment: